HIGHLINE.vc was founded two years ago with a mandate to make great pre-seed investments, drive pan-Canadian acceleration and respond quickly to founder needs in a rapidly evolving industry.
The foundation of merging Extreme Startups & GrowLab has anchored a pan-Canadian community of exceptional founders. Being backed by prominent entrepreneurs and leading institutional investors has driven focus on helping digital startups secure follow-on institutional capital.
We’ve published HIGHLINE’s results to highlight the impact already made and the growing momentum. Overall, 64 investments have been made across Canada with 37 active startups, 13 exits and 14 which are no longer operational. This has resulted in $136M follow-on raised post HIGHLINE investment, with over $329M total equity value generated. In the last two years,follow-on growth is up over 400% and portfolio exit distributions to shareholders have effectively returned invested capital, with 37 ventures that still show great potential.
Undoubtedly, HIGHLINE has had a great start, but there is so much more to do over the next decade to find and fund the future. We believe founders are best served when investors are entrepreneurs themselves. That’s why we’re excited to introduce a new venture next week that will fuel tech startups better & faster.
PORTFOLIO FUNDING IN THE MEDIA
- Andela: $30M CND Series B – Zuckerberg backs Andela, a startup more elite than Harvard [CNN] [Fortune] [Business Insider] [Mashable] [VentureBeat] [WSJ] [Inc] [Forbes]
- DROP: Raises $1M in Funding, Toronto-Based DROP Hopes to Dominate North America’s Loyalty Market, from US investors including ff Venture Capital, White Star Capital, Rothenberg Ventures and HIGHLINE as only Canadian investor [Betakit]
- Social Nature: raises $1M to promote natural products with influencer marketing [Tech Crunch] [Betakit] [Vancouver Sun]
- Payso Closes Oversubscribed Round to Bring Chatbots to Banking [Pulse] and is named as top 20 startups investors are most excited about at MoneyConf [Blog]
- StartupFest Hosts Five New Premium Fests, presented by BDC Capital to Encourage Closer Connections [Betakit]
- Yaletown Partners Research Highlights Canada’s Opportunity to Enhance Technology Growth by Closing Investment Gaps [blog]
- Boris Wertz: Canadian Investors Need to Think Globally to Compete with US Counterparts [TechVibes]
- Daniel Eberhard of Koho named on the Bay St Bulls Power 50 list
- Shelfie Lets You Take Digital Versions of Your Books With You [eWeek]
- Wanted More Female Funders and Founders [BIV]