Canadian venture capital investing hit a 10-year high in 2015, driven mainly by a booming technology scene. According to data from the CVCA, funding for entrepreneurs with 536 deals for a total of $2.25-billion. (Read more)
At HIGHLINE, we continue to be focused on being the leading pre-seed investor for companies that HQ in Canada. Over the past 12 months, we’ve made 16 investments across the country and are excited to announce more in the upcoming months.
Earlier this month, Toronto and Waterloo regions solidified their startup commitment with the launch of #StartupHere. (Read more here and here). HIGHLINE intends to better support connectivity to Toronto, and have several Kitchener-Waterloo activations planned for 2016.
PORTFOLIO IN THE MEDIA
Last month we made our first Atlantic Canada investment, Clean Simple and also celebrated the acquisition of TalentBuddy by global online learning marketplace, Udemy. The HIGHLINE portfolio continues to attract significant media attention highlighting their growth:.
- TalentBuddy: announces acquisition by Udemy to strengthen experiential learning capabilities. [Udemy] [Talentbuddy] [TechVibes] [BetaKit] [PEHub]
- Clean Simple: Halifax’s Clean Simple Looks To Grow Beyond Atlantic Canada with New Seed Funding [BetaKit] [Chronicle Herald]
- Andela Partners With IBM To Train 1 Million Data Scientists Worldwide [Blog]
- Procurify and Slack join forces, reinventing the way we work [Press Release]
- Meta: Mapping Science: How AI is Helping Experts Forge a Path of Innovation [Scientific Computing]
- Andela: The Future of Work Will be Distributed [Blog]
- Picatic: Startups Need to Eat Their Own Dog Food [Betakit]
- Famebit: Social Influencers Are Using E-Commerce To Turn Online Fame Into A Business [FastCompany]
- 3/1: Vancouver Enterprise Forum [Vancouver]
- 3/2: Dx3 Conference [Toronto]
- 3/3: Lighthouse Labs Demo Day [Toronto / Vancouver]
- 3/5: Designer Adventure Club #3 [Toronto]
- 3/7: TechTO March 2016 [Toronto]
- 3/8: Funding & Business Support for Startups [Vancouver]
- 3/22: Canadian Financing Forum [Vancouver]
- 4/1: Deadline to apply for Metabridge [Apply]
- 4/6: TSX Ignite [Toronto / Halifax / Calgary / Ottawa / Montreal / Vancouver]
Hope to see you in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal & Ottawa in the upcoming weeks.