The 2016 Federal Budget was announced this month with a commitment to propel Canada’s entrepreneurs and innovators from startup and commercialization stages to global success and to develop the “Innovation Agenda” over the coming year.
HIGHLINE vc firmly believes we can best support this objective by becoming the best pre-seed investor for Canadian tech startups that are headquartered in Canada.
Currently, 85% of HIGHLINE portfolio companies are active or have been acquired contributing to over $250M of equity value created. 132 founders form a strong initial network where 90% of the companies have received institutional follow-on capital after our initial investment.
In a continued effort to support top-tier founders & raise the bar for venture acceleration across the country, Marcus Daniels is the Content Chair at the recently announced Accelerator Festival in Montreal this summer. In Vancouver, Lauren Robinson co-hosted Tech Vancouver & Vancouver Enterprise Forum‘s joint meetup where Minister Bardish Chagger presented. [video] [BetaKit]
PORTFOLIO IN THE MEDIA
Here are some of the recent updates and media mentions from the HIGHLINE portfolio:
- Three Vancouver-based HIGHLINE portfolio companies, Koho, Control & Shelfie were recognized on the 2016 Ready to Rocket List.
- Lighthouse Labs Announces the Launch of Devhub: Canada’s First Education and Co-Working Space for Software Developers of All Levels [Press Release] [StartupTO] [Betakit]
- Andela: Meet the all-female developers team in Africa [CNN]
- Meta Launches Artificial Intelligence System to Help Scientists Leverage Literature [Techvibes] [Betakit]
- Evercondo wants to save you from the Perils of #CondoLife [Betakit]
- Payso Makes an Appearance on Dragon’s Den [CBC]
- Akira: on-demand access to Canadian doctors by text and video & recent HIGHLINE investment launches on Product Hunt
- BDC’s CEO Michael Denham on helping Canadian ventures go global [Canadian Business]
- Roger Chabra of Rho Canada Ventures & HIGHLINE investor talks about The New Realities for Canadian Entrepreneurs [Betakit]
- East Side Games Founder & HIGHLINE investor, Jason Bailey teaches startups how to ask themselves the right questions at #TechVAN [BetaKit] [video]
- HIGHLINE Investor Boris Wertz of Version One Ventures shares his journey from entrepreneur to Venture Capital [Podcast]
- Marcus Daniels shares views on Funding Options for Entrepreneurs [Metro News]
- BetaKit published a helpful summary on How the 2016 Federal Budget will Affect Canadian Entrepreneurs.
- BDC Capital and Startupfest join forces to create a series of premium festivals dedicated to emerging tech startups, venture capital funds, angel investors and accelerators. [Press Release] [Register]
- HIGHLINE & TWG held the 3rd edition of Designer Adventure Club, a seasonal event series to bring Toronto’s finest designers together.
- NACO Co-Chairs, Ian Bandeen & Bev Tudhope argue for growth of Canada’s Angel investment community [Globe & Mail]
- Our friend Sanjay Singhal launches 500 Startups Canada fund and we’re excited to co-invest in deals going forward. [Betakit]
- New crowdfunding rules widen pool for Canada’s private capital markets [Globe & Mail]
- Toronto Stock Exchange releases Tech Momentum Stats in “Tech is Back“
- Ray Walia of Launch Academy Talks Vancouver’s Startup Scene [Betakit]
Hope to see you in Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal in the upcoming weeks.